Passover has a lot of detailed traditions and stories with which it is associated. But, if we want to step back for a moment and look at some of the themes of the Passover holiday, here is a sampling:
• Passover commemorates the redemption from slavery that is written about in the Book of Exodus.
• The idea today is that each of us should feel as though we were personally freed from slavery.
• Passover provides an opportunity for us to appreciate our freedom and for us to recognize the responsibilities that freedom demands.
• We can, and should redefine slavery as it exists in our own lives today. Are we slaves to technology? to money? to vanity? Who is enslaved today? E.g. people in Darfur, people living in poverty, etc. How can we reach out to help others feel/be liberated?
• Passover is also a spring time holiday that has roots (pun intended!) as an agricultural festival. It’s an opportunity for us to celebrate the cycle of time and nature.