What is OurJewishCommunity.org?
Recognizing the changing needs of the Jewish Community, OurJewishCommunity.org reaches out to progressive Jews throughout the world. OurJewishCommunity.org provides some of the same services of a brick-and-mortar congregation, such as access to rabbis, sermons, educational materials, social networking, discussions, and more. The benefits of OurJewishCommunity.org are many: It is not restricted to geographic boundaries. It provides a place for people who may not have a progressive synagogue in their local community to which they feel connected. It is convenient – and open 24/7. It appeals to people who use technology on a regular basis. It promotes individual autonomy. It offers the opportunity to be part of building the future of Judaism.
The world is changing. People are constantly on the go, and often live in various cities over their lifetimes. We also use and rely on technology for more and more every day. There can be a Jewish community that complements the way we function in the 21st century. OurJewishCommunity.org reaches out to people who want to adapt Jewish tradition to a contemporary lifestyle.
OurJewishCommunity.org empowers and validates progressive Jews, and it provides resources for those who seek to be part of an evolving and dynamic Jewish community that celebrates intellectual inquiry. We are reaching out to affiliated and unaffiliated Jews – and to those who have an interest in Judaism.
Who is the rabbi?
Rabbi Robert Barr. You can read more about our rabbi here.
- We value principles of responsibility and origin of authority that rests with each individual
- We value learning opportunities that support participants’ connection with their Jewish heritage.
- We value open-mindedness and respect for differing views
- We value discerning intellectual inquiry that thoughtfully questions and explores Jewish text and other sources of wisdom
- We value acknowledgment of each person’s religious and spiritual journey supported through our unique liturgy
- We value evolving to meet the needs of a changing Jewish community
- We value nurturing connection and building community with each other as Jews and with all humanity
- We value community engagement and social justice that is responsive to the ever-changing world